Many Australian businesses have reported difficulties in connecting with the research sector. To help address this IP Australia have developed Source IP, a central source of information on public sector research expertise and licencing preferences for intellectual property: https://sourceip.ipaustralia.gov.au
Launched on the 23rd of November 2015 by Assistant Minister Wyatt Roy, Source IP features a growing list of 62 publicly funded organisations and showcases over 8000 patents – 441 of which are currently available for licensing http://www.minister.industry.gov.au/ministers/roy/media-releases/australian-government-helping-find-perfect-ip-match
Source IP is designed to:
- enable industry to browse the research expertise of different organisations and initiate connections via a single platform
- facilitate innovation and commercialisation by providing a means for IP Rights holders to signal their licensing intent
- increase understanding of potential collaboration opportunities to the widest possible audience by providing this information free of charge
- provide confidence to users that the information is an accurate representation of the IP Right holder’s intentions to license (or not)
Source IP has been built with the capacity to upscale and potentially showcase the entire Australian patent system. Through consultation with Australian incubators and accelerator organisations IPA are currently investigating the benefit of adding the IP of entrepreneurs and startups to the platform to help support the full innovation ecosystem.
As the Business Engagement Lead for Source IP, I’m looking to connect with current and potential users of Source IP and the data it hosts. In particular it would be great to hear from:
- Businesses/Entrepreneurs – feedback on using Source IP to search for research expertise/intellectual property and your experience of the connection process
- Connectors/Facilitators – those who assist with facilitating research-industry connections regarding how Source IP can best support you
- Platform Owners – anyone with a platform that facilitates research-industry collaboration regarding opportunities for the Source IP API to be utilised
- Innovation Ecosystem – any organisation that has a role in the broader innovation ecosystem (consultants, accelerators, incubators, investors, advisors, associations, innovative companies etc) that would be interested in linking to and/or promoting Source IP, please get in touch regarding opportunities to be included in our register of supporters
I’m also available to present the Source IP platform to relevant audiences, and to help any interested parties with using the site to initiate connections. Please do get in touch if you would like to discuss any of the above.