Zoe Piper has over 20 years’ experience across management consulting, technology, manufacturing and investment. With a focus on innovation and sustainability, Zoe is actively engaged in a broad range of roles and appointments.
Combining her interests in technology and social impact, in 2017 Zoe founded Ethitrade International, a blockchain based provenance platform empowering small enterprises in South-East Asia. In 2009 Zoe also cofounded Ecolour, an Australian based manufacturer of premium quality, non-toxic (zero-VOC) paint. Ecolour is now used by hotel chains, hospitals and leading developers across the country.
Alongside her entrepreneurial ventures, Zoe has also spent the past 7 years working to drive innovation and boost industry productivity. At CSIRO she founded and led IC Global, an award winning suite of platforms developed to drive innovation by facilitating expertise discovery, problem solving and data visualization. This involved engaging over 70 partners from industry, research, and government (both domestically and abroad) to collaboratively design and develop the platforms. Zoe was named as a 2020 ACT State Finalist (Public Sector & Academia category) for the Telstra Business Women’s Awards for her work leading IC Global. During her first two and a half years at CSIRO Zoe also served as Data61’s representative on the Canberra Innovation Network (CBRIN) board of directors.
Zoe has shared her knowledge on stage both domestically and abroad in New York (Ecolour), Vietnam (Ethitrade) and Manila (IC Global). She has also served on a range of committees and judging panels, including the CRC Association Excellence in Innovation Awards, Australian Export Awards, Enactus National Competition, and the Centre for Workplace Leadership Survey of Australian Leadership (SAL) Steering Committee. In addition, Zoe regularly mentors start-ups and young professionals looking to proactively shape their careers.
Zoe is a graduate member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (serving on ACT Division Council), and a Fellow of the Institute of Managers and Leaders (formerly chairing the AIM ACT Regional Advisory Committee). She has studied in the USA, Europe, and China, and her qualifications include an MBA, and Bachelor of Economics/Communication. Zoe is currently undertaking a PhD (Public Policy: cross-sector careers) at the Australian National University.
Zoe Piper has over 20 years’ experience across management consulting, technology, manufacturing and investment. Operating at the intersection of policy, practice and research, Zoe has delivered services (as an employee, consultant or director) to a range of organisations, including:
An active contributor across the sectors (industry, research & government), Zoe regularly serves on committees and judging panels, including:
- 2013 – 2021 – Served as a judge for the Enactus Social Entrepreneurship National Conference
- 2015 – 2020 – Served as a judge for the CRC Association Excellence in Innovation Awards
- 2019 – Participant in the International Centre for Democratic Partnerships Pacific Women in Business & Digital Delivery Dialogue
- 2017 – Served on the Innovation and Science Australia (ISA) taskforce to develop Australia 2030: Prosperity through Innovation (the 2030 Plan)
- 2016 – Provided input into Future Earth Australia plan
- 2016 – Served as a judge for the Australian Institute of Management Leadership Excellence Awards
- 2014 – 2016 – Member of the organising committee for the ‘Future of Work: People, Place, Technology’ conference run by the Centre for Workplace Leadership
- 2014 – 2015 Provided input into the Australian Council of Learned Academies (ACOLA) Expert Working Groups for the ‘Role of Science Research & Technology in Lifting Australia’s Productivity (SAF4)’, ‘New technologies and their role in our security, cultural, democratic, social and economic systems (SAF5)’ and ‘Translating research for economic and social benefit (SAF9)’ projects (part of the multi-year, multi-disciplinary research program ‘Securing Australia’s Future’)
- 2014 – 2015 – Served as a judge for the Australian Export Awards
- 2015 – Member of the Ribit (Data61) Advisory Group
- 2015 – Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD) 30% Club Government Working Group
- 2015 – Member of the Centre for Workplace Leadership Survey of Australian Leadership (SAL) Steering Committee
- 2014 – Provided input into work undertaken by the Grattan Institute (in partnership with Google) looking at innovation and productivity (‘The Silver Lining: cloud computing and small and medium enterprises‘)
- 2013 – Served as a member of the Innovation and Business Skills Australia National Project Reference Group for the 2013/14 review and update of the Leadership and Management training packages
- PhD (Public Policy), Australian National University (in progress)
- MBA, Charles Sturt University
- Master of Management, Australian National University
- Bachelor of Economics University of Canberra/Pepperdine University
- Bachelor of Communication, University of Canberra/Pepperdine University
- Diploma of Financial Services (Financial Planning), Kaplan Professional
- Diploma of Security and Risk Management, Canberra Institute of Technology
- Certificate IV in Property Services (Real Estate), Kaplan Professional
- Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, Canberra Institute of Technology
- 2020 – Australian Information Industry Association (AIIA) ACT iAwards Start-up of the Year and Digital CBR Award winner for Ethitrade
- 2020 – ACT State Finalist (Public Sector & Academia category) for the Telstra Business Women’s Awards
- 2019 – Winner in the Excellence in the Government category at the #TechDiversity Awards for Expert Connect and the FindHer filter
- 2018 – Australian Information Industry Association (AIIA) ACT iAwards Merit Awards in two categories for Expert Connect: “Infrastructure & Platforms Innovation of the Year” and “Public Sector & Government”.
- 2017 – ACT finalist in the 2017 IML Australian Leadership Excellence Awards (Owner/Entrepreneur category)
- 2015 – invited to tell the Ecolour story at the 2015 Shared Value Leadership Summit in New York, outlining how the company is cleaning up the air we breathe inside and out
- 2015 – finalist in the 2015 NAB Women’s Agenda Leadership Awards (Emerging Entrepreneur category)
- 2013 – represented Australia at the Asian Association of Management Organisations’ (AAMO) “Young Manager Forum” in Macau and China. The program sought to explore the role of ‘Gen Y’ management and leadership development in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Graduate member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (GAICD) and Member of the AICD ACT Division Council
- Fellow of the Institute of Managers and Leaders & former chair of the AIM ACT Regional Advisory Committee (FIML)
Zoe is an avid traveller who seeks out diverse experiences in each country or continent she visits as a way to enrich her mind and meet new people. Her travels have seen her go on safari in Africa, explore Machu Picchu, dance tango in Argentina and zouk in Brazil, study in Switzerland and the USA, work with Richard Branson’s Entrepreneurship University in South Africa, tutor in a juvenile detention centre in California, tour factories in China, parasail in Hawaii, scuba dive on the Great Barrier Reef and paraglide in Peru.